Updated: Aug 26, 2020
By: Shruti Aggarwal, Asst. Professor, FSB
Personal Leadership Model
My personal leadership comprises of three areas of leadership which I feel are extremely important and are the core elements to contribute towards a successful leadership Model. The three areas of leadership that my personal leadership models includes are:
· Leadership Theory – I have chosen the behavioral theory of leadership in my personal leadership model
· Team work
I shall explain the rationale and importance of choosing these areas of leadership in detail during the course of this essay.
Main Organizing Idea
The main organizing idea of my personal leadership model can be explained by using the three areas of leadership that I have chosen (Anon, 2017):
I strongly feel that leaders are not born but they are made by the behaviors they exhibit over the period of time through their share of learning which they have inculcated through life’s experiences, surmounting challenges, learning from influential people around etc. Therefore, how one behaves, what factors contribute towards a behavior that is line with influencing others in your environment is what makes all the difference. And since behavior theory of leadership clearly elucidates this concept, I strongly identify with this base concept of leadership theory. Therefore, exhibiting behaviors which not only polishes my character but also inspires all around is one of the organizing idea of my personal leadership model (Leadership-Central.com, 2017).
I strongly feel that unless and until one has a strong philosophical value one can be led astray when faced with difficult or confusing situations in life. However, if the philosophy on which an individual bases one’s life is strong and rich in value then it guides an individual and helps one make decisions and act in the best interest of all. The underlying philosophy of my leadership model is that every individual has unlimited potential. The only difference is the extent to which they are aware of this. When I make this as my underlying philosophy then it gives me a drive to believe in people’s potential and bring out the best in one self and others.
If one individual takes one step forward that is just one step forward. However, if hundred people take one step forward that is hundred steps forward. This becomes the organizing idea of my personal leadership model to choose team work as one of the important areas of leadership.
Important Traits, Skills and Tasks of an Effective Leader
· Inspiring – Words alone do not make any impact on others and cannot model their behavior in the right direction. Therefore, action of a leader, how he is able to inspire others and unleash their energy for the best outcome is what matters (Inc.com, 2017).
· Optimistic – No one likes to be around someone who is negative and pessimistic towards things, situations, people etc. People always look for someone who exhibit a positive energy which comes when people are hopeful, positive and have an optimistic nature. Therefore, an effective leader will be optimistic and will always focus on moving forward with the best moves.
· Emotional Stability – Effective leaders stand tall in the face of any adversity. An effective is one who is not frustrated and is able to manage stress. Overall they have the capability to channelize their emotions in a positive way and make the best out of everything through their state of mind (Au.af.mil, 2017).
· Strategic Thinking – An effective leader will have a purpose and vision very clearly defined. They will have a long term view of things and act accordingly. They have a vision of where they want to be and will single minded work towards achieving the same.
· Organizing, Planning & Problem Solving – In order their mission, an effective leader will always have organizing and action planning skills. An effective leader will make the best decisions and has a great problem solving ability.
· Interpersonal & People management skills – An effective leader is not only effective in putting his points across and inspire others but also empathizes with others around so that people form a connect with the leader and give their best towards the common goal. An effective leader knows how to best manage people by carving out the best in them.
(Skills You Need 2011-2017, 2017)
· Communicator – An effective leader is able articulate things in a way that is inspiring and motivating. They are able to empathize with people and have strong listening skills too.
· Thinker & Decision Maker – An effective leader is able to think strategically and make the best decisions in the best interest of all stakeholders.
· Team builder – An effective leader clearly communicates all plans, goals etc. with the team which makes the team feel connected to the larger goal and drives them to put their best foot forward. An effective is able to build such harmony and inter- connection in the team to achieve the end objective.
(Blanchard and Blanchard, 2017)
The core values that my personal leadership emphasizes is that:
· Every cause created has an effect registered which will manifest at the right time and in the right situation. With this underlying value, my leadership model emphasizes on the importance of behaviors exhibited by an individual that determines if one can influence or inspire others.
· A strong philosophy acts like a compass for an individual to analyze if one is moving in the right direction or not. My personal leadership model emphasizes on the fact that when one bases oneself on a strong philosophy then it becomes easy to make decisions which are in the best interest of all. The ambiguity or confusion to decide which route to take is not present because the philosophical foundation will act as a compass.
· One of the core values of my personal leadership model is that a bigger mission is achieved when the unique qualities of all individuals involved are made best use of towards fulfilling a common goal. Therefore, it places high importance on team work and team building.
My personal leadership model emphasizes on behavior theory of leadership. Therefore, this gives a lot of hope to people because it rejects the idea that leaders are born. It emphasizes that the behaviors exhibited by a person determines the leadership qualities. Therefore, leaders are not born but made. Hence, my leadership model gives lot of hope and scope to people to come on to the journey of becoming a leader by channelizing their behavior. This way a lot of positivity and creativity is infused in an organization or a group.
· My personal leadership focuses on respecting and utilizing the unique skills of everyone involved towards achieving a common goal. This way organization objectives are met in a very effective way and also individual goals are accomplished because everyone is demonstrating their own unique qualities and contributing to the organization’s objective in their unique way. This boosts employee confidence, employee morale and encourages everyone’s creativity.
Implications on Organization Culture
If my personal leadership model is used which focuses on behavior leadership, philosophy and team work the culture of the organization will be that of creativity, positivity and mutual respect and inspiration. This is because when behaviors and philosophy are given importance then the people in an organization will focus on exhibiting behaviors that are in line with the underlying philosophy.
The underlying philosophy of my leadership model is that every individual has unlimited potential. The only difference is the extent to which they are aware of this. When I make this as my underlying philosophy then it gives me a drive to believe in people’s potential and bring out the best in one self and others. This gives boost to employee creativity, mutual trust and respect.
Also, my leadership model focuses on team work. It acknowledges that all individuals are different and possess different qualities. If all these individuals however focus on a common goal playing on their qualities and strengthens then the outcome/objective met is phenomenal. This is because everyone involved is contributing to their best potential displaying unique characteristics; thereby compensating and complementing each other.
Personal Leadership Model
My personal leadership model is trying to achieve the following crucial outcomes:
· Self-confidence and self-esteem of each individual
· Learning and exhibiting the desired behaviors
· Positivity and creativity among all individuals
· Focusing on strengths of each individual and how this can be used for self-development and organization development.
· Mutual trust and respect
· Collectively achieving the bigger organization goal involving everyone who is contributing to the best of their abilities
Difference with the Existing Leadership Model
· The existing one only focuses on the end objective but neglects the means by which to achieve the end objective. My personal leadership model gives emphasis on the core values that need to be practiced in order to achieve the objective. I feel that my personal leadership model can give long term results with an incomparable outcome.
· The existing model neglects each individual’s needs and aspirations. However, my personal leadership model strongly believes in playing on to the strengths of each individual. This not only acknowledges an individual’s qualities but also boosts employee morale and contributes towards building a well-connected team which is indispensable for achieving bigger organization goals.
· Since my leadership model lays its foundation on behavior theory of leadership, I shall focus on inculcating and exhibiting behaviors that acknowledges, influences and inspires all around me.
· My leadership model emphasizes on team work, therefore, I would focus on identifying and acknowledging the unique qualities of every individual. I would focus on how these unique qualities can be put to best use in achieving the overall objective.
2011-2017, (. (2017). Leadership Skills | SkillsYouNeed. [online] Skillsyouneed.com. Available at: https://www.skillsyouneed.com/leadership-skills.html [Accessed 5 Apr. 2017].
Inc.com. (2017). 7 Traits of Highly Effective Leaders. [online] Available at: http://www.inc.com/peter-economy/7-traits-highly-effective-leaders.html [Accessed 5 Apr. 2017].
Anon, (2017). [online] Available at: https://assessment.trinity.duke.edu/documents/WashingtonStateUniversityCriticalThinkingProjectResourceGuide_000.pdf [Accessed 5 Apr. 2017].
Blanchard, R. and Blanchard, R. (2017). Five Roles a Leader Needs to Play. [online] Corpmagazine.com. Available at: https://www.corpmagazine.com/executives-entrepreneurs/expert-advice/five-roles-a-leader-needs-to-play/ [Accessed 5 Apr. 2017].
Leadership-Central.com. (2017). Leadership Theories - In Chronological Order. [online] Available at: http://www.leadership-central.com/leadership-theories.html#axzz4dOixPbnw [Accessed 5 Apr. 2017].
Au.af.mil. (2017). Leadership Traits. [online] Available at: http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/sba/traits.htm [Accessed 5 Apr. 2017].